Tuesday Thoughts

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Just 15 minutes ago I was snuggled up on the couch with Lucy watching TV. I didn't want to get up and do the dishes. I didn't want to take my makeup off or brush my teeth. I didn't want to charge my phone (which was at 3%). I just wanted to lay there and be comfortable and snuggle with her.

But I knew. I knew I'd be happier if I got up and did all of those things. I knew the dishes wouldn't take long. I knew my skin would appreciate being cleaned before bed; I knew my tired eyes would benefit from some eye cream. I knew I needed to brush my teeth and charge my phone. I knew my bed would be more comfortable than the couch.

So I made myself get up. I didn't want to. The dishes took four minutes. My night-time facial/teeth-brushing routine took six. And by the time I had straightened the living room up and locked the door and changed into my jammies and crawled into bed, it had been 15 short minutes.

It just really struck me for some reason. Sometimes I make decisions because I'm comfortable. I think, "I deserve a short cut here. It's not that big of a deal." And sometimes, like tonight, it really isn't that big of a deal -- but I could do better. And for not that much more effort. And for greater happiness in the end.

Just some thoughts.

0 comments:

Say something...